Tuesday, January 8, 2013

New Recipe!

As some know and the rest of you will soon find out I am a HUGE fan of the crock pot! I have two and think there's nothing better on a winter day than throwing dinner in there and letting it simmer all day.  I've been wanting to try a crock pot chicken tortilla soup for a while but never found a recipe that said "YES" to me. I remembered my friend Kim makes one so I thought I'd ask her about her recipe.  Well, I must say THANK YOU to Kim because we had chicken tortilla soup for dinner last night and it was awesome!!!  Kim's recipe doesn't call for a crock pot but I decided I would throw it all in there and let it simmer all afternoon and let me tell you it made the house smell awesome!!!  This soup was a huge hit in our house and it will definitely be made again soon!  My advice to you-MAKE.THIS.SOUP.  Go to the store, get the ingredients and make it today!  Go!  Here's the recipe:

1 large jar of Walmart Great Value white corn and black bean salsa
2 small cans of chicken stock
1 rotisserie chicken (you can use regular cooked chicken breast if you don't have a rotisserie chicken or don't want to spend money on one. I plan on just using raw chicken breast next time and throwing it all in the crock pot and then shredding the chicken)
Tortilla Chips
Mexican Cheese (I used Great Value Fiesta Cheese)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Take apart chicken and tear into little pieces (or throw in uncooked chicken breast) and throw into crock pot with entire jar or salsa and chicken broth.  Cook on low for 2-3 hours and then leave on "stay warm" setting so it can simmer and blend all the flavors together until it's time to eat.  If using uncooked chicken you may need to cook it closer to 5-6 hours before chicken is done and able to be shredded.  Once soup is cooked and it's time for dinner put into bowls and top with your favorite tortilla chips and cheese. Only thing left is to enjoy! 

                                           This is the soup while simmering in the crock pot

                                                     This is all done and ready to eat!



1 comment:

  1. Dee - This sounds delish! Keep the crockpot recipes coming - I too am a huge fan! Here's one of my faves:

    1 large chuck roast
    1 pkg. baby carrots
    4 - 5 potatoes
    1 can cream of mushroom soup

    Throw 'em all together in the crockpot and let it go at least 5 hours - I always start mine on high for a couple hours and then turn it down. The meat turns out AMAZINGLY tender and my family loves the potatoes and carrots - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete