Monday, February 4, 2013

Mexican Chicken Yumminess

Well, this past week has been a bit crazy.  Demos was getting over a sinus infection, Arabella had an ear infection and then I started feeling gross. Of course I don't start feeling sick until it's time for my husband's work week to start..isn't that always how it goes?!  Well, on Saturday I had planned to make this dish I found on pinterest.  It didn't have a name on the pinterest link just ingredients and a picture. It looked super yummy so I thought why not.  Well, Saturday came around and I felt down right awful with zero desire to spend time prepping and cooking.  I figured I would just go get a pizza or something when my husband woke up (he works third shift so he sleeps during the day...it's a super bummer!).  Well, I finally decided I had all the ingredients so it was wasteful to not just use them.  After debating with myself over cooking, not cooking I finally decided I would just adapt the recipe and make it a crock pot recipe...anything can be done in the crock pot. THAT.IS.WHY.I.HEART.THE.CROCKPOT. :o) I found this super easy and super delicious!  My husband took a bite and responded with "oh wow, wow that's really good babe".  That's always a good sign :o)

So here's the recipe the way it was originally:
1 pound boneless chicken breasts
1 teaspoon taco seasoning

 Salt, to taste
1/2 cup enchilada sauce
4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
3 green onions, chopped

Sprinkle the chicken on both sides with taco seasoning; grill or sauté. Cut the chicken into cubes and place in a greased 8x8" baking dish; season with salt to taste. Add the enchilada sauce and toss to coat the chicken. Sprinkle the cheese over the chicken and bake at 350º for 10-20 minutes, until hot and bubbly. Scatter the green onions over the top. 

I'm sure it's yummy that way and I may try it that way some time.  

Here's the recipe my way:
4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
taco seasoning
enchilada sauce (I used Old El Paso sauce it comes in a small can)
package of shredded cheddar (could use your favorite Mexican or taco cheese)
salsa or taco sauce
sour cream (or plain Greek yogurt-will cut the calories down and is super yummy!
green onions
cilantro
salt and pepper to taste

Take 4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts and generously sprinkle each side with taco seasoning and then lay in crock pot.  Pour entire can of enchilada sauce over the chicken.  Cook on low for 4 hours. Once chicken is cooked pull it apart/shred it.  Pour desired amount of chicken inside a soft tortilla, top with shredded cheese. Then put in oven or broiler to melt and brown the cheese up a bit.  Once out of the over top with taco sauce or salsa, sour cream, green onions and cilantro. Then take a bite and enjoy!  This was my first time ever using cilantro and let me just say-YUMMMMMMMY! This will definitely be making an appearance in our house again soon!  Even my three year old liked it-he thought it was a taco! :o) You could also serve this over rice if you didn't want to eat it in a tortilla. 


Now...go get these ingredients and make your family and your tastebuds do the happy dance by having this awesome meal for dinner!  ENJOY!

                                             Here is the final product...DELISH!


No comments:

Post a Comment